Dr. PhaniSree Vagvala
Professor in Architecture, Registrar i/c, Director i/c International Relationship Cell
B.Arch, M.L.A, Ph.D
Teaching - 23 years
Architecture, Landscape Architecture Recreational Design and Environmental Sustainence
• Design of public open spaces, • Landscape Conservation& environmental sustainance, • Mobility issues & barrier free design, • City planning &Sustainable public transport
Prof. PhaniSree Vagvala holds a Ph.D. in Architecture from JNTU, Hyderabad, Masters in Landscape Architecture from SPA, New Delhi and Bachelors in Architecture from the erstwhile College of Fine Arts and Architecture, Hyderabad.
She is working in the University from past 23 years in various teaching and administrative roles, and currently she is the Registrar (i/c) of the University. She has rich experience in teaching, research and practice.
Teaching has been her passion and especially likes to emphasize on optimization of space utility, which includes concepts like minimalism, functionalism and affordability. She likes to explore design and teaching methodologies. She focuses on identifying a student’s talent and helps in nurturing it. She is teaching under Graduate and post graduate levels and guiding Ph.D. students. Some of the courses she handled over the years are Architectural Design, Building Construction, Landscape Design and Site Planning, Build failures and Advanced Construction.
Her research interests are in understanding user’s needs and preferences and incorporating into design. She also works on Landscape conservation and restoration, Environmental sustenance, City planning and Public transport. Her thesis is on compatibility between sustenance and recreational needs in Urban opens paces. She has undertaken several research projects, including AICTE research grant projects.
In the past she has worked as head of the Department of Architecture, Facility services and Planning, Urban Planning, and Environmental Design programs. Currently she is also Coordinator Research and Development Cell and Director International Relationships.
She has played an active role in other academic related activities like organizing conferences, symposiums, workshops and exhibitions, especially during her role as Coordinator Entrepreneurship Management and Development (EMD) Cell. She has actively been part of curriculum development and is currently is Chairperson Board of Studies Facility services and Planning (B.Tech F.S.P).
She developed extensive practical experience by involving with consultancy cell of the university and while on deputation to RITES Ltd. She has coordinated design and construction of very large-scale projects and with renowned architects while on deputation.
Beyond college she is interested in the applications of bio-mimicry. She enjoys learning about society in the context of its surrounding, and thinks about how to incorporate these observations using sound design principles, both in teaching and practice.
She took interest in developing the departments with focus on students’ welfare and nurturing academic enthusiasm, particularly emphasizing on developing practical knowledge through the interaction with experts working in the field.
Articles, Research Papers, Books Published:
“Access to All Making Railway Stations Barrier Free: A case of Kacheguda Railway Station.” Paper presented in National seminar on Design for Disabled and elderly Persons, March 2000.Organised by School of Planning Architecture JNTU Hyderabad.
“Social Considerations in Restructuring Indian Cities” paper Presented in National seminar on Globalization Contextualizing social science Research In India: Towards Diagnostic productive and Intervention Modules. Organized by UGC Academic Staff college Hyderabad Central University on 15-16 November 2005.Co-Authors Dr. S.Kumar& M Vinod Ganesh.
“Users Preferences for Recreational Environments and Environmental sustenance of Urban Open spaces-An Empirical Investigation in Hyderabad City.”Paper presented in Green Cities: Design, Planning, and Management ICGCDPM-2011 Organized by MANIT Bhopal.
“Distortions in Infrastructure Development in Urban Transport. How do we remedy it?”Paper Presented in 11th Asian Urbanization conference Organized by Department of Geography, Osmania University Hyderabad 13 December 2011 Co-Author Ravibabu M
“Public Transport for Indian Urban Agglomerations: A case for central role for surface Rail” Presented in the World Conference for Transport Research (WCTR), at Rio De Janeiro from 14th to 18th July 2013 Co-Author Ravibabu M
“Greenways Connecting Urban Population with Nature: A Case study of Hyderabad City.” Paper presented in Green Cities: Design, Planning, and Management ICGCDPM-2011 Organized by Department of Geography B.H.U. Varanasi. Co-Author P.SashiPriya
2006 Urban transport tangle: Some Solutions: Published In The Hindu, Feb 2006 Co-Author Ravibabu MConferences organized: Seminars/Workshops Conducted:
- Organic Architecture 2006 Aug
- Trends and Technology in Architecture 2006 Jan
- Living Organic Architecture 2005 Dec
- Buildcom” Construction Management Training Programme2005 Oct
- Personality Development Course 2005 May
- Biodiversity: Prospects & Challenges for Conservation and Development 2005 Mar
- Systems approach to Project Management 2004 Dec
- Building Construction Yard 2004 Dec
- Creative Thinking and Design Methodology 2004 Nov
- First State level Photography workshop 2004 Aug
- Cycle of Life on World Interiors Day 2004 Jun
- Living Organic architecture 2005 Dec
- Career Fair Exhibition 2005 Jan
- AIAC September 2017 (Co-convener)
- Natural Vs Built Environments An investigation into compatibility between sustenance and recreational needs in Urban opens paces (PhD Dissertation)
- Resource analysis and management of urban water bodies for conservation and recreation in GIS –Case of Hyderabad (AICTE TAPTEC Project)
- 2014 Residential School in Bihar
- 2013 ManchalaRangamma and Venkataramaiah Memorial Community Hall in GangavaramPrakashamDistA.P
- 2006 Proposal for Campus Canteen at JNTU Hyderabad
- 2000 Probationers Guest House at BHEL Hyderabad
- 1993 Reagent Agro Products Factory Building at Rajamundry, A.P
- Architectural and interiors design for few residences.
- 2008 Parking plan for NSIC New Delhi
- 2006 Landscape proposal for development of marginal lands for a 10 Km stretch of rail corridor in Hyderabad
- 2006 Joyce Meyer studios, Hyderabad
- 2005 Irish Valley Project Shameerpet,RangaReddy, A.P
- 2004 The Eco City Development Plan for the Core Area of TirupathiTown, A.P (team member)
- 2004 Parking Plan and Comprehensive Landscape Design for Secunderabad Railway Station.
- 2004 Landscape design for Sports Field at Jeedimetla Industrial Association, Hyderabad
- 2004 Parking Plan for Begumpet Railway Station, Hyderabad
- 2004 Landscape design for Neighbourhood Park at Jeedimetla, Hyderabad.
- 2004 Landscape design for S.P.A Building Frontage, Hyderabad.
- 2003 Parking Plan For JNTU Campus, Hyderabad.
- 2003 Landscape design for JNTU Administrative Block, Hyderabad.
- 2001 Landscape proposal for Venkatarayapuram Township Tanuku,A.P
- 2001 Landscape design for Jeedimetla Industrial Association, Hyderabad.
- 2001 Proposal for Renovation and Landscape development for Railway Officers Club, Secunderabad,
- 2001 Comprehensive Landscape design For JNTU Campus, Hyderabad.
- 2001 Landscape design for Vice Canceller’s Residence, Hyderabad.
- 2009 MiSAARC building Pondicherry University
- 2009 Convention Centre for Pondicherry University
- 2008 ICAR: Auditorium with a seating capacity of 1200
- 2008 MNNIT Allahabad: Renovation and new construction
- 2008 Allahabad University: Renovation and New construction
- 2008 Expansion works at Pondicherry University Campus
- 2007 Institutional Campus for DTEH, Haryana
- 2007 Government polytechnics for DTEH Haryana -
- 2007 JNU campus works: Renovation and new construction